Education [Early Childhood Centre] Regulations 2008: Subpart 2 46 1a,b,c,d (2)
This policy will ensure that all Staff and children’s personal well-being and safety requirements will be met on any Early Childhood on Stafford excursion.
All children will have the opportunity to participate in a spontaneous walk/excursion at least three times annually.
At all times there will be at least two adults (one must be a teacher) present on any excursion and a cell phone will be carried. If the Centre is unable to meet the adult/child ratio requirements as deemed by this policy the excursion will not take place.
Centre ratios approved for excursions/spontaneous walks are as follows:
OVER TWO: At least 1 adult for every 4 children
UNDER TWO: At least 1 adult for every 2 children
Near water: 1 adult for two children
In Water: 1 adult for one child
The person responsible will approve all excursions by signing on the excursion form.
- For planned excursions all parents/guardians will have signed the excursion risk assessment form which states the appropriate adult/child ratio for that excursion and highlights all perceived risks and their control measures for that excursion. All children will be easily identified as belonging to Early Childhood on Stafford by wearing the yellow named tops.
- If traveling by Centre Van children will be in approved car restraints. There will be at least2 adults and no more than 9 children maximum.
- Only Employees of Early Childhood on Stafford are permitted to drive the Van.
- If the planned destination of any excursion changes staff will contact the Directors/Person Responsible immediately for permission to move to the new destination. If permission is not granted staff will return to the centre with the children immediately
The following items will be taken on all planned excursions
- The portable first aid kit with any medication requirements
- Cell phone
A list of all children on the excursion and their emergency contact details will remain at the centre in case of emergency.
The centre will ensure that the appropriate adult/child ratio is maintained at the centre for those children not attending the excursion.
Children will be monitored to ensure that they have equitable opportunity to participate in spontaneous walks/excursions. Names will be recorded to monitor this.
On at least one occasion during the year all employees will be involved in a whole centre excursion – notes will be left on the entrance doors and on the telephone to inform any visitor of contact procedures.
Adopted: February 2020
Review Date: June 2022